Wednesday 25 March 2009

The promise

I'm convinced that grampa felt guilty for having renounced his roots because his message to me was that I should never forget that I was Italian - You are Italian and you should never forget it. I made him a promise - a hundred times - that I would keep the faith; that I would remember our roots; that I would undo what uncle Tony had done.

From the age of 13 I started to teach myself Italian. I bought Maria Valgimigli's book - Living Italian - and started teaching myself Italian. I bought myself 'Teach Yourself Italian' and continued the process. Until, when I was 18, I applied to the Polytechnic of Central London School of Languages to study Italian and I was accepted for the 'post-A-Level course'.

When I dropped out of my Italian and German course in 1981, I was fluent and what's more I sounded like an Italian - not like an Englishman speaking Italian. Between 1978 and 1981 I spoke more Italian than I did English.

The only thing on my mind was an old picture postcard of Amalfi - a gorgeous black and white picture - of a place that the family had called home.

By the time I'd reached the age of 16, I'd changed my name back to Criscuolo. When the next brother down was 18, I paid to have his name changed back and my dad did the same around about the same time.

And I'd started to plot the family tree. My search for my connection to Pontone di Scala had begun. Old family papers. Snippets from aunts and uncles. I was going to rebuild my roots. I was going to find out who I was ... where I belonged.

It was the return of the Criscuolos and this time it was the real thing.

1 comment:

  1. How dull our lives would be without challenges to test our mettle and bring our passions into relief! And how blissful to bask in the reflection of passion burning brightly and benignly! This is a beacon in the jungles of time and space that lights the way home for all generations - whether present, past or future - and warms the heart of those touched by its glow. I'm reassured (but not at all surprised) at how beautiful this is - bravo, Marco! (Affectionate best wishes from your fellow adventurer, Mike McKoy)

    ReplyDelete